by HEATHER NAPLES
What says “Valentine’s Day” more than hearts and chocolate? This heart-shaped, chocolatey Red Velvet Cake covered with delicious cream cheese frosting should be a winner!
To make this cake, you will need one 8×8 square cake pan and one 8-inch round cake pan. To decorate the cake with icing roses, you will need a 1M frosting tip and a pastry bag. All of these items can be purchased from your local craft store.
BOXED CAKE MIX “HACK”:
If using a boxed mix of Red Velvet cake, substitute 1 cup of hot coffee for the 1 cup of water that the box recommends. The coffee will bring out the chocolate taste in the cake!
Heart Shaped Cake Instructions:
- Cook both cakes according to the recipe and allow to cool.
- With a knife, cut the circle cake equally in half.
- Rotate the square cake to a diamond shape.
- Place the flat edges of the two halves of the circle cake against two edges of the diamond shaped cake.
- Ice the entire cake once, creating what is called a “crumb coat.” This traps the crumbs and allows your next layer of icing to go on smoothly.
- Next you can either frost the cake with another layer of icing or use the 1M frosting tip to create small frosting roses across the surface.
- To create the roses, simply swirl the icing in small circles going clockwise starting from a small dot you create with the 1M tip. Download the app and watch the video featured here to see this technique in action, or head to the The Moms Magazine Instagram page (@themomsmagazine) to see another clip of this technique!